The Indiana Latino Institute (ILI) has created the ILI Medical Interpreter Training Scholarship to address a lack of Spanish-language support in Indiana healthcare facilities and to remove financial barriers for Latinos who would want to become licensed medical interpreters. This program, funded by the IU Health Foundation, allows ILI to provide scholarships for the LUNA Language Bridging the Gap (BTG)training through February 2025. These scholarships cover the entire cost of the language assessments, books, and tuition. Expenses will be paid by ILI directly to LUNA to cover the cost of the BTG training.
Bridging the Gap (BTG) is a nationally recognized basic training for medical interpreting. BTG participants must have high-level proficiency in English and one other language, but no prior interpreting experience is required.
- Must identify as Latino
- Must be enrolled in a college or university
- Provide proof of conversational proficiency in English and Spanish (Language Proficiency Assessments – LPA’s are part of the enrollment process)
- Be able to attend all 40 hours of the course (spread over two weekends)
- Authorization to work in the United States
Selection Criteria – Applicants will be assessed based on the following:
- Financial need
- Personal statement
- Professional Reference
- Language Proficiency (in both English and Spanish). This language proficiency assessment will be completed over the phone.
There is no deadline as courses are offered year-round in February, April, June, August, October, and December.
The date for starting BTG courses depends on when the scholarship application is completed, and evaluated, along with when LUNA has course openings.